Friday, April 13, 2012

Critical Critics By Kapitan


Gabrielle de la Cruz
Apprehensive. Could you still see yourself buried underneath the layers of criticism you are under? Hearing offensive feedbacks and you can take it no longer! Have you ever felt this way? Well, I have! And I am one of those people who are prone to condemnation. I am criticized yet I get used to it. I do not know what is in me that made them react that way. Nevertheless, I remain strong, and stronger than ever.
Who won’t say that once in their lives they judged someone else’s life and personality? I doubt it if somebody will do so. This is for the fact that hypercritical conception has been part of human nature ever since. We easily form conclusions based on what we see or what hear from others that are possibly true. Hearsays, rumors, gossips, false statements - call it what you will! These things ruin one’s reputation and damage anyone’s dignity. I must admit that I have been a critic of other’s life, attitude and works myself. It’s not because I was born with it but it might be my initial reaction towards a person. As they say, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I am just expressing what I feel about other people.
I myself experienced to be the talk-of- the-town (for almost every day) in our class, campus and even in our place. I feel ashamed because my ‘precious’ name is being dragged into so much controversies that I do not even know. And sometimes it comes to the point that I am about to crack. I want to scream at them and say “Oo na! Kayo na ang panalo! Are you happy now?” But of course I would not do that. I have to keep my composure. So what? Who cares? I’m still breathing. I am still complete; they have nothing taken from me. My life will still be going on, with or without them. That is my case, and certainly other people would have experienced being criticized. And maybe they have their ways on how to cope up with such surges.
In spite of the negative comments, I learned to value myself. To pay attention to what people are saying about me. What if they have got some point? What if they are telling the truth? There’s nothing to lose if I will listen and think for a while. Do the introspection alone. It will really make a difference.
Sometimes swallowing your pride is not so bad as we think. It teaches us to be humble and to accept things that we’re not aware of because we have chosen to be close-minded. The real man accepts his own defeat without losing his temper. And at the end of the day, it is still a battle between you and yourself.
Criticism is a cycle. When we criticize, we also must bear in our minds that we will be criticized (whether we like it-or we like it!). All we need is to gather up enough courage to face them for they cannot only make us stronger but also a better person if and only if we will take them constructively. And what’s wrong if others are fond of following your every step, it only means that you are ‘someone’ to them. As the best advice I’ve ever received in my entire life, “what would others say are meaningless because what is more important is what you will say about yourself”.

No comments:

Post a Comment